Thursday, December 8, 2011

books... I am reading and processing...

Where has the fall gone? Wow, Dec 8th today.
I have been read/listening to a number of books this fall.

The King Jesus Gospel by Scot McKnight was so good for me. I have been through it a few times now... I am giving it to anyone that I love AND that I think with read it... difficult combo to find :-)  The book brought so many things together for me... I have been troubled by HOW we in the church share Jesus and then HOW we often do not do the work of discipleship... the church is so weak in this area... well if you want to read a solid book that will make you think AND stand up and shout AMEN, read it... it just might bring some fresh wind to your fire.

Deep Church by Jim Beltcher so a re-read. I read it a year ago but returned to it b/c I wanted to process through again how he described a "deep" way forward. I am again so inspired by his vision. Then I learned that he is no longer pastoring in the local church... he is now a WRITER... so so sad. I guess once you write a great book you do not HAVE to work with congregations anymore... you can JUST write about them... I sure would like to know what is next for him... the church needs him.

The Best Kept Secret of Christian Mission by John Dickson - I am currently going through a second time - SO SOLID. He knows ancient history and Scripture really well and he brings amazing life and academic experience to his books. The book gives a fresh biblical explanation and call to everything to do with "reaching the world with the Good News" - excellent book.

The King's Cross by Timothy Keller - Half way through this one... I love it, Keller is a gift to the Kingdom - brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment