Saturday, January 7, 2012

Luke 10 - Jesus & forerunners

I am struck again by Jesus' use of forerunners or people that would "go ahead of Him" and prepare people and cities for His coming. We see this in John the Baptist. We see this continuing in Luke 9:52-53 and 10:1-24. Jesus needed people going ahead of Him to stir people, awaken people, and create curiosity in people. He even instructed the 72 to stay at the same house (10:7), why? I think it was so that the hosts could see an extended snapshot into the life of a Jesus follower - Jesus wanted the interaction to go beyond an evening of hospitality and niceties - He wanted true witness. Then verses 16 and 22 teach a supernatural work that involves the "forerunners" but requires a work of Jesus - revealing Himself to them.
It is exciting to think that we get to be involved in Jesus' work. We live the life, plant the seeds, show Jesus, speak of Jesus - largely we are forerunners - what a privilege and amazing call!!!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly thought provoking, Pastor Jim... Im beginning to see why people say things similar to, "I can't believe God would use a person like me." As a teenager I had a skewed perception of myself thinking that I was better than I actually was. Now, a solid decade past my sixteenth birthday, I'm beginning to see a lot of ugliness within myself and its quite unsettling. As I grow in age I see why following Jesus is so difficult and how I do such a poor a job setting a Christly example. Amazingly, God can use a person like me. As blemished as I am, he uses me, amongst many other believers, to prepare the way. Sometimes I don't understand why God uses broken tools, but we see it scripture so many times. What a privilege it is being a tool of God considering the decisions I've made and will continue to make. ( I hope it is understood that I write this response not to be a sob-story, but simply to express the true thoughts that come from within as I read what you wrote, Pastor Jim.) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I apologize for the deleted comments above. I noticed typos both times and I had to fix them. Surprisingly I proof read both of the deleted comments before publishing them. It wasn't until I published them that I noticed the typos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so appreciate your humble reflections and you sharing them here. I miss you brother. You are a humble vessel God uses mightily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wondering....did/does Jesus'need' the forerunners or do we hard headed slow to listen sinners need the forerunners? Either way it is humbling and exciting to be used by Jesus to tell THE good news! Proud of you Jimmy!

    ReplyDelete