Monday, April 25, 2011

My wife's thoughts on motherhood

Below is an email that my wife (Mecca) wrote to a girlfriend last week. I thought it was beautiful and significant. Most women wrestle a bit with motherhood and a career. Many women have wonderful educations and wonder how it will be used in their 20's and 30's and beyond while raising children... not an easy answer. I am very proud of my wife and how she has prayerfully and persistently worked through this reality in her life. She has two undergrad degrees and a Master's degree - is an accomplished artist - has a gifted mind - a gift for teaching - a gift of admonishing - YET, she has chosen to stay home with our children and disciple them. Her words are below.


And I wanted to add, in regards to mothering vs. artistic pursuits, that God has given me a complete peace (greater than I’ve ever known) and deep joy (deeper than I’ve ever known) in mothering and setting aside, for a season, my painting. He has assured me that there will always be time to express my artistic skills, but the season of children in the home is so brief, a fleeting moment in life, really. 

As I serve my family, God has pulled me into a more humble, less flashy place in the world, and it has been a place of absolute peace and fulfillment.

When I do return to my easel, I shall be even more free to express beauty, because I have come closer to Christ as a result of my embracing this season of humble service. I hope that makes sense. Art flows from the soul...and art before, for me, had a little too much “anxious toil” in it (Psalm 127:2).

And in the end, what will be remembered of my life, even if I shoot to the stars as an artist someday and get into great galleries and am collected - what will really be remembered will not be my paintings, but that I loved God, that I shared Him with everyone in every way possible, and most especially to the greatest charge He has given to me—my own two darlings.

So, I do miss painting at times, but it’s only a fleeting desire, given, I sense, to remind me that when the children are more independent, He still has some wonderful things in store for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment